Thursday 21 February 2013

Magazine Advert Draft

For the next feature of my project I have to create an magazine advert for the artist who's music video I am creating. In order to make this successful I believe that it is of vital importance that I make sure that my magazine advert has features that will make it attractive to my desired target audience, but also that it adheres to the generic themes and conventions of all the other pieces of advertising that I have created already, in an attempt to build an image around the artist.
     The first design that I came up with when drafting the magazine advert was to have my character with his back to the camera in a mid-shot whilst standing over a bridge. I think that it is acceptable to have my main character with his back to the camera as his dress code should be instantly recognisable from his star image, and therefore it is not vital for his face to be seen. Alternatively, it can act as an enigma code for people who have not heard of or seen the artist before, and this will then lead to them wanting to research into the mysterious character and solve any questions that they may have. This design would be feasible as a result of the fact that this is also going to be a scene in my music video; alternatively this could also be successful as fans will also recognise this factor.
      Next, I drafted a design where the main character would again have his back to camera to emit the same effects upon the audience as I described previously, however this time around the artist would be sat on a bench in a park with an artistic looking surrounding. I strongly believe that this setting would be more effective as the last idea that I planned due to the fact that the woods, and scenic views are commonly related to the indie genre and this is the category that my music video falls into. Furthermore, there is a lot of views and techniques that you can play with in this kind of setting- shallow focus photos for example- and this will then make my design stand out from any others.
       My third design relies heavily upon the star image of the artist in order to make the advert successful as the design includes nothing but an close up of his face with a pure black backdrop. This then reveals to the audience how the character has a significant level of stardom as his face alone can sell his product, however this also comes at a risk because if the artist does not have a large enough fanbase; the entire plan could backfire. I feel as though this effect can look very eye-catching, although it is only effective with high profile celebrities and my artist is not in this category.
      To conclude, my final idea would be to have my main character to be stood on a high-street with his two characters vaguely in the distance. This again would be a clip from my music video and would thus be easy to create. However, this also has drawbacks from the effectiveness of the visuals and this is why I believe that another choice would be more suitable as the advert ultimately needs to be eye-catching, and this would be hard to make very focal.


No comments:

Post a Comment